Good news, Bedford! It is now even easier to obtain a garage sale permit in the City. During the September 27 Council Meeting, the City Council approved the following changes to the garage sale ordinance:
- A garage sale permit is still required, but there is no longer a $10 fee. It’s now FREE!
- The City will NO longer require residents to obtain City-issued garage sale signs. Residents may use their own garage sale signs.
- Residents don’t have to come to City offices to obtain a garage sale permit. Garage sale permits can be obtained through the City’s self-service online portal. For instructions on how to submit a permit through the portal and create an account, please visit the Garage Sale webpage. City staff is here to assist anyone with applying online, as paper permits will be phased out this month.
- Group or neighborhood sales will follow the same process as individual garage sales, but will require a $25 permit fee (for more than five addresses).
While the rules regulating garage sales remain relatively unchanged, there have been some minor modifications. Below are the essential requirements related to garage sales:
- No more than four garage sale permits will be issued in one year to the same property.
- Garage sales may not last for more than 72 hours.
- There is a maximum of four signs allowed, one posted on property of sale and three other used for directional signs (all signs must be located on private property and not within the right-of-way).
- Garage sale signs may not be larger than 4 square feet, with a maximum height of 3 feet.
- Garage sale signs can only be displayed 24 hours before the sale begins and must be removed by 8 p.m. on the last day of the sale.
Along with other assigned job duties, the City’s Neighborhood Services Officers will be patrolling the community on Saturday mornings to monitor garage sale activity and may ask for proof of permit. If a proof of permit is not provided, the property owner will be asked to end the sale.
For questions, please contact Building Inspections at 817-952-2140 or via email.