Owners of properties used as short-term rentals (rented for fewer than 30 days) must first register their property with the City of Bedford.
A short-term rental property is identified as a residence/home that is rented out to patrons for a period of less than 30 days at a time, such as an Airbnb or Vrbo.
The short-term rental program is intended to protect and preserve the integrity of our neighborhoods and overall community by regulating the terms under which a residence may be rented. These terms include a required annual property inspection and assuring property owners are registering for State-required Hotel Occupancy Tax payments.
The short-term rental program addresses the following:
- Terms to receive an approved permit (parking plan, local contact, liability insurance, etc.) for the short-term rental property
- Occupancy limits
- Ensures life safety matters are addressed at the residence
- Requires annual fire inspection, repeat inspection, and change in ownership inspection
- Establishes clear policies if a property does not comply with regulations
- Establishes permit and inspection/re-inspection fees, and applicable penalties
Short-Term Rental Property Registration
All owners must follow the two-step process outlined below to register their property. No properties are exempt from this requirement.
Register on MUNIRevs (to pay hotel occupancy taxes online):
- Please visit https://bedfordtx.munirevs.com (applicants will need to register with a 6-digit business license number and a MUNIRevs Activation Code)
- Questions? Please email email@example.com or call 888-751-1911.
- Additional Information/Frequently Asked Questions
Complete the City’s Rental Registration-Short-Term Application:
- Register as a user. Please visit https://bedfordtx.portal.opengov.com to create an account in the City’s online permitting system. You may view instructions on creating an account, submitting an application, tracking progress of an application, making a payment, or communicating with City Staff about your application online.
- Complete the application. Once you have created an account, you may either (on the home page of https://bedfordtx.portal.opengov.com) click on the Rental Registration icon or type “Rental Registration” in the main taskbar. From there, you will be directed to the Rental Registration Short-Term application.
- Request an Inspection. Once the application is deemed complete by City staff (you will be notified), you may request an inspection of the property. Please refer to the Short-Term Rental Inspection Checklist for what items will be inspected by the City.
The Short-Term Rental Registration fee is $200 annually, plus $60 for the inspection.
Required Attachments to the Short-Term Rental Application
- Provision of Proof of Host protection or liability insurance (not standard homeowner’s insurance) and the City must be named as an additional insured on the policy
- Provision of Current Tax Certificate/proof taxes are current
- Provision of House Rules/Occupant Notification Packet, which shall include:
- Maximum number of occupants
- Location of required off-street parking (Parking Plan-must be provided on private property)
- Quiet hours and noise restriction
- 24-hour local contact person and phone number
- Property cleanliness requirements
- Waste pick-up requirement, including the location of waste and recycling receptacles
- Flooding hazards and evacuation routes, as well as information on the outdoor warning siren system
- Emergency and non-emergency numbers
- Provision of a Dimensioned Floorplan of the home showing emergency exits