- Candidates must have a minimum of two years paid full-time experience as a certified Peace Officer.
- Must have had no more than a three-year break in service from the time they left a comparable law enforcement agency and the time they make application with the Bedford Police Department.
- Out of state applicants must challenge and pass the TCOLE state exam before a final job offer is made by the Bedford Police Department.
- Must have been in a position where they had the authority to enforce laws, investigate crimes, make arrests, respond to calls for service, carry a firearm, and use discretion as part of their assigned duties.
- Applicants are eligible for a starting salary based on whole years of police experience. Service time, for determining the starting salary, can include multiple agencies if breaks in service are less than 30 days and all previous agencies meet the required criteria.
- Must successfully complete each step in the hiring process in the same manner as any other applicant.
- Applicants meeting lateral entry program requirements are exempt from the college hour requirement.
- The Chief of Police, Human Resource Director, and City Manager shall make the final determination regarding qualifications of candidates for the Police Lateral Entry Program.
Police Lateral Pay Plan, Based on FY 2021/2022 Step Plan
|Recruit Officer (Not Certified)||1||$29.12||$60,572|
|Certified with 2 Years Experience||2||$33.38||$69,434|
|Certified with 3 Years Experience||3||$34.63||$72,038|
|Certified with 4 Years Experience||4||$35.93||$74,740|
|Certified with 5 Years Experience||5||$37.28||$77,542|
|Certified with 6 Years Experience||6||$38.68||$80,450|
|Certified with 7 Years Experience||7||$40.13||$83,467|