Emergency Medical Services
The Bedford Fire Department has been providing emergency medical services (EMS) to the City of Bedford since May 1974. Our fire department was the first fire department in Tarrant County to provide a full-time professional EMS program. The Bedford Fire Department was also among the first of fire departments in Tarrant County to staff ambulances with firefighter/paramedics. Bedford paramedics are cross-trained as firefighters. We take tremendous pride in providing high-quality emergency medical care to our citizens.
Bedford Fire Department is a Licensed EMS provider with the Texas Department of State Health Services. All of our ambulances are licensed as Mobile Intensive Care Units (MICU), which is the highest level for ground transport units in the state. We maintain an MICU staffed with firefighter/paramedics in each of our three fire stations. In addition, each fire company is staffed with firefighter/paramedics and carries advanced life support drugs, cardiac monitor defibrillator, and EMS equipment to provide the highest level of care when firefighters arrive at the patient’s side.
EMS is the highest demand for our service and requires all operation personnel working as a team to provide seamless coverage around the clock for our citizens and visitors. We are proud to maintain a four-minute response time. Fire companies are utilized to assist on EMS calls of a serious nature such as chest pain, difficulty breathing, strokes, head injuries, drowning, and serious trauma. We responded to over 4,800 EMS incidents in 2020. We transport patients to hospitals in both Tarrant and Dallas counties. Hospital selection is based on patient preference or appropriate facility based on the patient’s condition.
Bedford Fire Department EMS personnel are well trained. It takes over two years of school to become a certified paramedic in most cases. Paramedics are required to successfully complete a minimum, three-month field-training program before they can practice as a primary medic. Each paramedic must successfully pass comprehensive protocol and skills testing while working under the direct supervision of a Field Training Officer. All personnel are required to attend medical training classes taught by Tarrant County College. Fire personnel receive additional certification training in areas such as ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support), AMLS (Advanced Medical Life Support), and PHTLS (Pre Hospital Trauma Life Support).
Ambulance Subscription Program
The City of Bedford is offering citizens of Bedford an ambulance subscription service to help offset the high costs of emergency ambulance transportation. Insurance companies routinely do not pay the entire amount of ambulance transportation, leaving the patient with the responsibility of paying the balance of the bill. The purpose of the subscription service is to cover the amount not covered by your insurance provider or Medicare. Medicaid Recipients and persons not covered under a primary insurance policy, are not eligible for this program. For more information call 817-952-2500.
You can mail the form and enrollment fee to Bedford Fire Department 1816 Bedford Rd, Bedford TX, 76021. You may also bring the completed form and enrollment fee to Fire Administration/Station 1 located at the above address, Monday through Friday.
- The cost is $60.00 per calendar year, renewed annually.
- Covers all immediate family members of the household that reside at the place of residence in Bedford which includes applicant, spouse, and children under the age of 25 that are full-time students. Children over 18 (that are not full-time students) and Medicaid recipients are not covered by this subscription.
- Saves out of pocket expense for emergency ambulance transportation by paying the amount not covered by health care insurance, Medicare, and other supplemental medical insurance.
- Provides the needed insurance information to expedite billing.
- No bill for the unpaid portion of the service not paid by the insurance provider.
- The plan covers you from January 1 to December 31 of the enrollment year. You may enroll at any time. However, the fee is NOT prorated, and coverage is NOT retroactive.
If you have questions regarding an Ambulance/EMS bill, please contact Emergicon 1-877-602--2060.