Is the fire department administering the COVID-19 vaccine?

Bedford Fire Department personnel worked shifts, along with many other fire departments, at the vaccination site in Hurst(now closed). However, we are not administering shots at any other locations. Please visit Tarrant County Public Health Department for more information.

How do I get a copy of my ambulance report or patient record?

The City of Bedford contracts with Emergicon to provide all EMS Billing and Patient Records for our Fire Department Ambulance Service. If you have questions concerning your ambulance bill or need a copy of your patient record please call Emergicon at 1-877-602-2060 or 972-602-2060.

Why have I not received my bill after using Bedford’s Ambulance Service?

The City of Bedford only charges your insurance company for ambulance fees. You may or may not receive a notice in the mail requesting your insurance information. If we have your complete information, it may not be necessary to contact you.

How do I get a copy of my ambulance bill?

The City of Bedford contracts with Emergicon to provide all EMS Billing and Patient Records for our Fire Department Ambulance Service. If you have questions concerning your ambulance bill or need a copy of your patient record, please call Emergicon at 1-877-602-2060 or 972-602-2060. 

I received an ambulance bill in the mail from the Bedford Fire Department, what do I need to do with it?

The City of Bedford charges your insurance carrier for ambulance fees. You may or may not receive a notice in the mail requesting your insurance information. If we have your complete information, it may not be necessary to contact you. If you live outside Bedford’s primary response area you may receive a bill for any outstanding balances. You should call Emergicon at 1-877-602-2060 or 972-602-2060 for all questions concerning your ambulance bill.

I have called Emergicon and did not receive the help I needed, who else can I call?

You can call the Bedford Fire Department Division Chief of EMS at 817-952-2500 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday thru Friday.  We will do our best to assist you in resolving your issue.

Does Bedford EMS provide non-emergency transport services?

No. Bedford Fire Department EMS only provides emergency 911 ambulance service. If you need non-emergency service, you can select from several transfer ambulances servicing our area.

Who do I contact if I have a problem or concern about the service I received?

You can call the Bedford Fire Department Division Chief of EMS at 817-952-2500 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday thru Friday.  We will do our best to assist you in resolving your issue.

What hospitals will Bedford Fire Department EMS transport to?

The Bedford Fire Department EMS will transport to all area hospitals at the patient's request, including downtown hospitals in both Dallas & Fort Worth. However, depending on the patient’s condition and medical necessity our paramedics may determine the appropriate hospital.

I need to dispose of my used needles or medical waste; can the Bedford Fire Department accept or assist with disposal?

The Bedford Fire Department cannot accept used needles or medical waste from the general public. However, you may pickup a "Take Away Medication Recovery System" envelope from the fire administration lobby, located at 1816 Bedford Rd. For needles, please contact our City Waste/Garbage Company Republic Services at 800-333-7301 or Sharps Compliance at 800-772-5657 and they should be able assist you.

Does the Bedford Fire Department give free blood pressure checks?

Any Bedford Fire Station will do free blood pressure checks without an appointment, providing they are in the station and not on a call.

Why does a fire truck respond with the ambulance?

The City of Bedford prides itself on the delivery of state of the art emergency medical services to our community. Bedford ambulances and fire trucks are staffed by cross-trained firefighter/paramedics and firefighter/EMTs. A fire truck is dispatched with the ambulance on many calls for various reasons. In some cases, the fire truck may be closer and can initiate medical care before the arrival of the ambulance. Bedford also uses very aggressive pre-hospital emergency care treatments. The fire truck and ambulance crews together make a highly efficient team that provides the public with an unsurpassed level of care.

When I am driving and I am approached by an emergency vehicle, what should I do?

When you become aware of an approaching emergency vehicle, pull to the right and stop. If you are approaching an intersection and see an emergency vehicle that is approaching the intersection from behind you or another direction, come to a stop preferably one or two car lengths back from the intersection. These simple maneuvers can result in seconds saved by the emergency vehicle and can translate into a huge difference for someone who is having a medical emergency or is experiencing a fire.

Why do we see fire department crews at the store?

Because the crews work a 48-hour shift, they must eat their meals while working. The firefighters all eat the same meal, as a group. The crews pay for their food out of their own pockets. Each morning, after the equipment is checked and the housework completed, one of the vehicles (either the engine or ambulance) will then make a quick trip to the grocery store to purchase the food for the shift. All crews remain in service to respond to calls during this time.

What is “ISO”? What is the City of Bedford’s ISO rating?

The ISO (Insurance Services Organization) is an advisory organization and the principal provider of rating and statistical information used by the insurance industry in the United States. Quality of public fire protection is one of the items of statistical information the ISO provides to the insurance industry. Under the PPC (Public Protection Class) program, the City of Bedford has achieved a rating of 1 (effective June 1, 2021) on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being the most desirable rating. Lower homeowner’s insurance rates are available as a City increases its PPC rating.

How do I obtain a fire report?

Reports of fire incidents are available to the public by request. Please call Bedford Fire Department Administration at 817-952-2500 and request a report. Because the reports are computer-generated, please notify the Fire Department in advance if you wish to obtain a copy. Please provide us with the date, time, and street address of the incident. The cost of a general report is $3.00.

How may I get a tour of a Fire Station?

You may either stop by your local fire station between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. and ask for a tour, or you may (and we recommend) contact us to schedule a tour. Remember, even when tours are scheduled the tour may be cut short or canceled due to the station receiving an alarm and having to leave.

Where is the nearest fire hydrant to my house?

The most accurate information about fire hydrant locations and fire flow available at specific locations can be obtained from the City of Bedford water department at 817-952-2200.

How do I check my smoke detector?

Every smoke detector has a test button, usually in the center of the detector. Press the test button and hold it for a few seconds. If it is working correctly, the alarm will sound and will automatically stop when you release the button. Remember to test your smoke detector monthly and change the batteries twice a year.

How many smoke detectors do I need in my home?

You need to have smoke detectors in each sleeping room, in the hallway outside of sleeping rooms and on each floor level of your home.

When are hard-wired smoke detectors required?

All new homes are required to have smoke detectors that run off of the normal household electrical circuits with battery backup. Older homes, built before smoke detectors were required are often supplied with battery-operated smoke detectors only. Hard wired detectors that run off of a home's normal electricity can be installed or retrofitted into existing homes.

What type of smoke detector should I have?

There are two basic types of smoke detectors - ionic and photoelectric. Both types of detectors work well to detect fires where there are open flames. Tests have shown that the photoelectric detectors are better in detecting smoldering fires, the type of fire most common in homes.

Where should I place my smoke detectors?

The most common place is on the ceiling of the room. Take care not to place the detector outside of bathroom doors, in kitchens, and other areas that produce vapors that might lead to accidental detector activations.

What about Carbon Monoxide(CO) Detectors?

Please visit the EPA's website at this link for details on CO detectors.

Where should I place a carbon monoxide detector?

How do automatic fire sprinklers work?

Automatic fire sprinklers are connected to a series of pipes that run through the building's framework. The pipes are connected by control valves to a city or other reliable water supply. When a fire occurs, the water automatically discharges through the sprinkler heads to extinguish or control the fire until the fire department arrives.

How are automatic fire sprinklers activated?

Fire sprinklers are activated from the heat of the fire.

Do all the sprinklers go off if one sprinkler goes off?

No, only sprinklers that have been activated by heat.

Can automatic fire sprinklers be installed in a home?

Yes. Sprinklers in homes are very effective life safety devices that significantly enhance your chances for survival if there is a fire in your home.

Can I have a small backyard recreational or cooking fire?

Recreational and cooking fires are allowed even in areas where general outdoor burning is prohibited. The same safety rules apply for cooking and recreational fires as for general outdoor burning.

Are fireworks legal in Bedford?

No. Fireworks are illegal to possess or discharge in Bedford at any time.

What are the penalties for illegal firework possession, purchase, or discharge?

Fireworks violations are criminal misdemeanor violations. Fines can be as much as $2000.00 for civil citations but depending on the offense, up to one year in jail may be assessed.

How can I report a fire hazard?

Fire Hazards can be reported to the fire marshal at 817-952-2500

Can I get someone to come to my group to speak about fire safety?

Yes. The fire marshal can prepare topics for almost any group or organization. Call 817-952-2500 to arrange for a speaker.

Where can someone go to get an interpretation of a Fire Code requirement?

Generally, the fire marshal can give an answer. Call 817-952-2500 and ask to speak to the fire marshal.

What is the best kind of fire extinguisher for my home?

A multi-purpose fire extinguisher is best for the home. Look for the rating to be at least 2A 10B C on the label. This extinguisher can be used on any type of fire commonly found in the home (it will often be labeled A-B-C). It is recommended that an extinguisher be installed in the kitchen and in the garage.

How do I refill or check my extinguisher?

The Bedford Fire Department does not service or refill fire extinguishers. Research "Fire Equipment" on your phone or internet to find companies that do this. Please call our office if you still need assistance.

How should I dispose of my old extinguisher?

Please contact our city waste/garbage company, Republic Services at 800-333-7301.  

Can I have my child's birthday party at a Fire Station?

This is a request that we receive frequently and regrettably are unable to accommodate. What we can and would be very happy to do is to try and schedule what we call a "station tour".  A "station tour" is where our staff would provide a guided tour of their station and apparatus to your party including letting the kids sit in the fire truck and ambulance and try on some of the equipment that the firefighters wear. This is also a great time to take pictures for the kids to remember their day at the fire station.  The only catch is that the firefighters would possibly have to leave for, or be gone on, an emergency response when we schedule.  If this is something that you are interested in we would be happy to give you more information if you like, if so please call 817-952-2500.

My child has started several small fires recently. Is there anything I can do to deter him/her from doing this again?

Your child may benefit from a visit to our fire station, where he/she can have a one-on-one conversation with firefighters about the dangers of playing with fire. Early attention to this problem is extremely important. Our fire marshal also actively participates in the Juvenile Fire setters Intervention Program. Please contact him at 817-952-2500 to obtain further information regarding this program or visit our link.

Does the fire department do child car seat installations or inspections?

No. However, we can offer the list of resources at this link.

Does the fire department fill swimming pools?

We're sorry, but no.