- City Government
- Police Department
- Solicitor Permit
Solicitor Ordinance and Permit
Per the City of Bedford’s Code of Ordinance, Chapter 90 “Peddlers and Solicitors”, individuals are required to obtain a solicitor permit to conduct such activities. Solicitor permits are processed and issued by the Bedford Police Department’s Public Service Officers. All solicitors undergo a criminal background check before their permit is approved.
A solicitor permit must be completed by each company or entity involved in soliciting or handbill distribution. A separate solicitor permit shall be required for every person involved in soliciting or handbill distribution. Permits are valid for the current calendar year. All permit fees are non-refundable.
- Solicitor Permit - $50 a year per person (valid only for the calendar year in which it is issued), free if distributing handbills only
The following groups of organizations are exempt from needing to obtain a permit. Please keep in mind, these organizations still need to abide by the City’s solicitation ordinance regulations.
- Educational (school)
- Religious groups
- Recognized non-profit organizations (with an IRS 501(c)(3) non-profit status
- Government employees posting code violations, water restrictions, utility outages, burn bans, special event impacts, security issues, etc.
- Solicitation activities are not allowed on Sundays, New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Presidents Birthday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Thanksgiving, the day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, or Christmas Day.
- Solicitation activities are not allowed before 9 a.m. and must end at 8 p.m.
- Solicitation activities are not allowed on public property, public rights-of-way (roadside sales), at any location on the Do-Not Solicit List or with a “NO SOLICITORS”, “NO TRESPASSING” , “NO ADVERTISMENTS” ,“NO HANDBILLS,” or any similar notice displayed. If a resident verbally states that their solicitation is unwelcome, the solicitor must vacate the premises immediately.
- A person conducting solicitation activities in Bedford must always wear the Bedford-issued red solicitor traffic safety vest and have their solicitor badge visible.
- The City of Bedford may revoke a permit if it is determined that it was issued in error, incorrect information was supplied, or when it is determined that an ordinance or regulation has been violated.
Do-Not Solicit List
A homeowner may request their address be added to the Do-Not Solicit List by filling out the online form or by downloading a copy of the Do-Not Solicit Form and return to the Bedford Police Department, 2121 L. Don Dodson Drive. Your information will be submitted to the Bedford Police Department Community Services Division and added to the Do-Not Solicit List.
View the Do-Not Solicit List (updated May 30, 2023)
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Bedford Police Department at 817-952-2440 (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.)