Do Not Solicit List
On May 12, 2016, the Bedford City Council approved an ordinance amending Chapter 90 "Peddlers and Solicitors" of the Bedford Code of Ordinances.
The amended ordinance provided for the following major changes:
- Section 90-5: Do-Not-Solicit List - Creation and distribution of a list by the Bedford Police Department containing the addresses of residential property in which the owner/occupant has elected not to permit soliciting on their property. This list will be provided to all permitted solicitors, as well as any requesting member of the public, and will be available via the City’s website.
- Section 90-1: Vest Requirement - requires permitted solicitors to wear a traffic safety vest making them visible to motorists and to easily identify them as being registered with the City.
- Section 90-11: Time Restrictions - revises the daily time frame during which soliciting is permitted, and also includes a provision that prohibits soliciting from occurring on Sundays and certain holidays. (No Person may conduct commercial home Solicitations or Handbill distributions before the hour of 9:00 A.M.; or After 8:00 P.M.; or Sunday; or Any of the following holidays: New Years Day; Martin Luther King’s Birthday; Washington’s Birthday; Memorial Day; Independence Day; Labor Day; Columbus Day; Veterans Day; Thanksgiving Day; the day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day.
Permit Application & Costs
- Solicitor Permit - $35.00 / a year / Per Person
- Handbill Permit - Free
- Solicitor Vest - $15.00 / per year / per person
Register for Do Not Solicit List
An address can be added to the Do-Not-Solicit List by filling out the form here. Your information will be submitted to the Bedford Police Department Community Relations Division and added to the Do Not Solicit List.
The Do Not Solicit List
View the Do Not Solicit List (updated February 25, 2021 01:30 p.m.)
If you are a home or business owner with questions about the ordinance or Do Not Solicit List, please contact the Bedford Police Department at 817-952-2440.