Crime Victim Assistance

The Bedford Police Department’s Victim Services Program exists to provide services to victims and family members with the goal of lessening the short and long-term trauma experienced as a direct result of victimization. Our program is a collaborative effort with the Euless and Hurst Police Departments and is partially funded by a Victims of Crime Act grant.

Our Crime Victim Coordinators provide criminal justice support and advocacy, information and referral, notification of rights, assistance with filing Crime Victims Compensation claims, and assistance in finding shelter to all victims of violent crime reported to the Bedford Police Department.

HEB Crime Victim Services Program Brochure

Crime Victim Compensation

Crime Victims Compensation is a financial assistance program that helps eligible victims of crime with certain expenses related to the crime. Money for this program comes from court costs paid by criminals and deposited by each Texas County into Crime Victims’ Compensation Fund.

Compensation Criteria

Who May Qualify?

  1. An innocent victim of crime who suffers physical and/or emotional harm or death
  2. An authorized individual acting on behalf of a victim
  3. A person who legally assumes the obligations or voluntarily pays certain expenses related to the crime on behalf of the victim
  4. A dependent of a victim
  5. An immediate family member or household member related by blood or marriage who requires psychiatric care or counseling as a result of the crime
  6. A person who goes to the aid of the victim or a peace officer
  7. A peace officer, firefighter, or individual whose employment includes the duty of protecting the public

What Crimes are Covered?

Crimes like sex offenses, kidnapping, aggravated robbery, offenses of assault, arson, homicide and other violent crimes in which the victim suffers physical or emotional harm or death.

The following motor-vehicle-related crimes are also covered: failure to stop and render aid, DWI, manslaughter, criminally negligent homicide, aggravated assault, intoxication manslaughter and intoxication assault.

How do I file for Crime Victims Compensation?

  • Report the crime to a law enforcement agency within a reasonable period of time, but not so late as to interfere with or hamper the investigation and prosecution of the crime.
  • Claim must be filed within 3 years of the date of the crime.
  • Be a United States resident with the crime occurring in Texas or a Texas resident who becomes a victim in a state or country without a compensation program. United States citizenship is not required.

Contact Information

Recorded Information in Austin: 800-983-9933

Public Information and Assistance: 800-252-8011

Crime Victim Services Website

Write to: Crime Victim Services Division - CVC Program Office of the Attorney General PO Box 12198 Austin, Texas 78711-2198

Click here for National Crime Victim Services and Referral Information. 

Click here for National Crime Victim Services and Referral Information. (Spanish)

Learn more at to get involved.