Thank you for your interest in employment with the Bedford Police Department. If this is the first time you are applying using our online job application, you will be required to create an account and build your application profile. Be sure to save your Username and Password so you can log into your account for updates, apply for future job openings, and update your application materials. This application can be saved and used to apply for more than one job opening.
To apply for an open position, please click on the below career you are interested in and you will be redirected to the City of Bedford Opportunities page. Before you submit an application for a position, you will need to review your application carefully. Once you submit your application for a position, you will not be able to make any changes to the application. You may, however, make changes to your core profile for future submissions. If you need to make any changes to your already submitted application or provide the City of Bedford with additional job-related information, please contact the Human Resources Department at 817-952-2167.
In order for us to successfully process your application, we ask that you complete it in full. Failure to do so may result in the rejection of your application. False information is cause for rejection or dismissal. If you require accommodations to complete this application, please notify the Human Resources Department. Once submitted, this application, along with any attachments, becomes the property of the City of Bedford.
Police Officer Qualifications
The Bedford Police Department is currently accepting applications for Police Officer. Please read the information and application process below before submitting an application. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Sgt. T. Stillman at 817-952-2434.
- Be eligible for certification from TCOLE (Texas Commission on Law Enforcement). (Please refer to Texas Administrative Code Title 37 Chapter 217.1 for clarification.)
- Must be 21 or older (at the time of certification)
- Must have a valid Texas Driver’s License (or ability to obtain)
- 30 hours college credit from an accredited college (college requirement waived if certified peace officer OR two years active duty military experience with an honorable discharge)
- Complete and submit Police Officer application
- Qualified applicants are invited to participate in a:
- Physical Fitness Test (Concept 2 Row Machine, Texas DPS Standard 50%)
- Written Exam
- Pre-Employment Interview
- Upon successful completion of above-listed testing, applicants are subject to an extensive background check.
- Once the background check is completed successfully, the applicant will go through the final steps of the process that include:
- Oral Review Board
- Conditional Job Offer
- Polygraph Examination
- Psychological Evaluation
- Medical Examination (drug screen/stress test/ physical)
- The applicant receives a final job offer once all testing is successfully completed.
Salary (tentative upon City Council approval of the effective budget starting October 1, 2021)
- Police Recruit (No certification) - $58,242
- Police Officer - $64,351- $80,257 (see below Step Plan)
- Field Training Officer - $1200/year
- Foreign Language (Spanish & Vietnamese only) - $1200/year
- Associates Degree - $900/year
- Bachelors, Masters, and above - $1500/year
- Stand-By Pay
- SWAT - $260/week (2 weeks per month)
- CID - $290/week (Per week assigned on call)
- CRASH - $120/week (Per week assigned on call)
- Ordinance Incentives
- TCOLE Certification Levels
- Intermediate License - $25/month
- Advanced License - $50/month
- Master License - $75/month
- TCOLE Certification Levels
- Child Safety Seat Inspector - $25/month
- Firearms Instructor - $25/month
Bedford Police Lateral Entry Program Details
- Candidates must have a minimum of two years paid full-time experience as a certified Peace Officer
- Must have had no more than a three-year break in service from the time they left a comparable law enforcement agency and the time they make application with the Bedford Police Department.
- Out of state applicants must challenge and pass the TCOLE state exam before a final job offer is made by the Bedford Police Department.
- Must have been in a position where they had the authority to enforce laws, investigate crimes, make arrests, respond to calls for service, carry a firearm, and use discretion as part of their assigned duties.
- Applicants are eligible for a starting salary based on whole years of police experience. Service time, for determining the starting salary, can include multiple agencies if breaks in service are less than thirty days and all previous agencies meet the required criteria.
- Must successfully complete each step in the hiring process in the same manner as any other applicant.
- Applicants meeting lateral entry program requirements are exempt from the college hour requirement.
- The Chief of Police, Human Resource Director, and City Manager shall make the final determination regarding qualifications of candidates for the Police Lateral Entry Program.
Police Lateral Pay Plan; Based on FY 2021/2022 Step Plan
Pay is tentative upon City Council approval of the effective budget starting October 1, 2021
Recruit Officer (Not Certified)
Certified with 2 Years Experience
Certified with 3 Years Experience
Certified with 4 Years Experience
Certified with 5 Years Experience
Certified with 6 Years Experience
Certified with 7 Years Experience